Saturday, January 10, 2009

Proverbs 10

So I am reading one proverb a day for the month (thanks Emily), and I am on number 10. The proverbs of Solomon. Just a few things that caught me: Multiple times does it say "a chattering fool comes to ruin." This is a problem for me. I tend to always believe I am right, as most of us do, yet I always wind up either feeling foolish or rude. I do need to learn to quite myself and listen more than I do. Proverbs 10 also says that "love covers over all wrongs;" isn't that the most wonderful thought. I have done so many "wrongs" in this life, yet the love of Christ covers them and makes me anew. Another line that I really connected with was "wisdom is found on the lips of the discerning." This is something that has taken my whole life for me to understand and have a desire for. Multiple times in the Bible does it state that "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom," and this goes hand in hand with that. Only through heeding to the Lord and his will for our lives (discernment) our we able to truly have wisdom of things to come, and experience true joy. My final thought on this comes from the line "The fear of the Lord adds length to life." All would assume that this literally means a longer lifespan, but I disagree with that. I very well could be wrong, but as Christians, we will live forever with Christ, so I don't see that living on this earth any longer than necessary is what he wishes for us. I take it as the fact that if we do "fear the Lord" by seeking him and his will for us daily, than we in turn will have a "fuller" life. Through him we have a life of pure joy, and experiences to share in Christ with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment